The winner is Steve Margulis!!
JUNE 26 TRIVIA QUESTION
For each bluegrass grouping, fill in the blank. Must get all 4 correct to win. Judge’s decision is arguable but final!
1. Fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bass fiddle, ______________
2. Jimmy Martin, JD Crowe, ________________
3. 6 strings, 4 strings, 5 strings, _______________
4. Del & Jerry, Ronnie & __________
- Fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bass fiddle, BANJO (the classic bluegrass instruments — Dobro not acceptable since banjo would remain missing)
- Jimmy Martin, JD Crowe and PAUL WILLIAMS (Jimmy’s classic band member trio of the 1950s/early 60s)
- 6 strings, 5 strings, 4 strings and EIGHT STRINGS (are on bluegrass instruments)
- Del & Jerry, Ronnie and ROB McCOURY (two sets of McCoury brothers, just “Rob” or Robbie” would win, without saying “McCoury”)
Regarding the above questions:
- I thought some smart aleck (maybe a Dobro player, I’m joking!) would fill in the blank with “Dobro”. It happened!
- This is for the fans of older traditional bluegrass who instantly know the best trio Jimmy Martin ever had with his Sunny Mt. Boys (and the longest lasting, most recorded)
- This one is for those who can infer how many strings bluegrass instruments have, and which instrument is missing. Dobro got covered in this question, by the way.
- Lastly, two sets of bluegrass brothers. I mentioned the first two in my current article about my Ten Most Influential bluegrass recordings.
Banjo, Paul Williams, 8 strings, Robbie
Steven pipped me to the post….same answers as I have.
2) Paul Williams
3) 8 strings
4) Ronnie & David